At the height of the Second World War in 1941, the seat of the Provincial Government of Zamboanga situated in Zamboanga City was transferred to the municipality of Dipolog. In the month of June 1943, the Japanese Occupation Forces landed at Dipolog and occupied the area. With this outbreak, Gov. Matias Ranillo, who was a native of Dipolog, decided to temporarily station the Provincial Government in Dipolog. Later on, the Provincial Seat of Government was transferred to barangay Polanco due to the massive occupation of the Japanese Imperial Army.
The short period of establishment of the Provincial Government in Polanco has gained an incidental favor. The refugees from Dipolog and other neighboring provinces who evacuated to Polanco devoted their time in agricultural pursuits, thus bolstering agricultural production. After the war, however, Polanco was severely affected and money circulation slowed down.
The after effect of the temporary station of Provincial Government here in Polanco had paved a way for the prominent leaders in advocating the law proposing a separation of barangay Polanco from the municipality of Dipolog. With the strong representation of Governor Serapio Datoc, the President of the Philippines, His Excellency Elpedio Quirino, signed Executive Order Number 467 on August 22, 1951, creating the municipality, thus, from the ashes, it took enough initiative and courage of the civic leaders of Polanco to bring back prosperity of the people and prosperity of the land.
How Polanco Got its Name
In the absence of a juridical personality, Subano as a tribe has already been dwelling in this place originally named Layawan derived from the river traversing the area called Layawan. However, the settlers changed it to “Tillated” which was taken from an existing identity of a creek located in the center of the Poblacion. Spanish Missionary named Fr. Polanco came and established Christian Missions and principally erecting a chapel. He then assigned a priest to continue the conversion of the natives into Christianity thus developing people’s attitudes to have reverence and devotion to God. Such an unforgettable deed, the people renamed the place after him: POLANCO.